TXP Community Forum
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dynamic cross-hairs and 3d view server settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-dad
Rocket Man
Rocket Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Dynamic cross-hairs and 3d view server settings Reply with quote

For a DF2 server, the attributes value inside the df2.cfg file will automatically be updated when one is changing some of the server settings.

Based on some info I got from Zorro, I have figured out how one can do it the opposite way, i.e. changing the attributes value directly, so that the server settings will change accordingly.

This method opens up a way to set two new server settings, which are not available in the server setting menu, namely...:

- Dynamic cross-hairs (on/off)
- 3d view (on/off)

This means that one for instance could turn ON dynamic cross-hairs or turn OFF the means for players to use the 3d view buttons (F5 - F7).

I have made a spreadsheet available which will let you find a suitable combination of 8 different server settings. Just replace the attributes value inside df2.cfg with the value in the left most column of the row which fits your needs, and you're set.

The easiest approach is to start at the top left of the spread sheet. Decide if the setting in the Dynamic Cross-hairs column should be ON or OFF. If ON, you need only concentrate on 128 of the 256 rows in there. Then do the same for the setting in the next column, and you will have only 64 rows left to concentrate on. Continue with this method and you will eventually have narrowed it down to one row, from which you use the numerical value in the Attributes value column.

Zorro and myself worked together on this in July 2008. He said he was going to make the discovery public soon, but I'm not sure if he ever did. I hereby do it myself. Smile

Spreadsheet here...: http://txp.df2.org/q/modding/attributes_value_1.htm
BulletMagnet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that attribute value located? Is it somewhere in the 'df2.cfg' file?

Is there any advantage to using this method over my hosting tool which allows you to edit those values through a simple GUI? http://www.thegoodoldays.com/forumcgi/Blah.pl?b-532/m-1232311358/
Q-dad
Rocket Man
Rocket Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulletMagnet wrote:
Where is that attribute value located? Is it somewhere in the 'df2.cfg' file?

Yes, it's the attributes value, as mentioned in the first sentence in my post above Smile

BulletMagnet wrote:
Is there any advantage to using this method over my hosting tool which allows you to edit those values through a simple GUI? http://www.thegoodoldays.com/forumcgi/Blah.pl?b-532/m-1232311358/

Not really, using your tool is probably easier for most people, but my method shows that one can do this without a tool, and some people prefer that.
Nice tool, btw - I had forgotten that you released such a tool back then... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TXP Forum Index -> General DF2 discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: