TXP Community Forum
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
It still hurts one year later

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-dad
Rocket Man
Rocket Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: It still hurts one year later Reply with quote

Today (April 11th, 2008) it is one year since Allan Stewart (aka Doc/Dr.Evil~TAG) died in Afghanistan. The shock and disbelief of what happened is still present in my mind today. Even if he lived far away, and most of us "only" knew him through the internet, it felt as we lost a very close friend on that day one year ago. My thoughts still go to his wife and daughters who must have suffered a terrible loss.

Doc & myself always had a common interest in making the old game of DF2 a better game, and for years we had been working (on & off ) on a project called TXP2, which will include both new terrains, items, skins, sounds, maps, and much more... One of our dreams was to manage to convert items to DF2 from some of the other old Novalogic games, like DF1, AF3, LW/TFD, C4 and maybe even Tachyon, and include them in TXP2. We never managed to do that before he died, and we never had time to release TXP2 together...

Several months ago I announced that TXP2 would be released on this day, i.e. April 11th 2008. Since then I've been working to fulfill that promise almost each day, and I've also got some help in the process. Tomkat has since moving from DF1 to DF2 been a great help in the process of debunking the 3di file format, and jabo1SFH, BulletMagnet and varg have all been very helpful with comments and ideas in the TXP2 beta forums, and will also be part of the test team when the next & last TXP2 beta is being released.

However, some 10 days ago, I realized that there was still too much left to do, and too little time left before April 11th to do it, so I asked the guys for advice, and the result is that the release of TXP2 will be postponed until it is finished. No new date will be announced until it has been released. My view is that we owe it to Doc to do it properly before releasing it, or not release it at all (the latter is no option, though)...

What can I tell about TXP2 at this stage...?

Well, our dream of converting items from the other Novalogic games seems to be coming true these days, but there's still a lot of work left to be done... Currently, we have a good chance of being able to convert items from at least DF1, AF3 and LW/TFD (see pictures below), but items from more games might be possible as well if time permits...

Other than that, I can tell that TXP2 will include terrains converted from AF3 and TFD + some home made ones by Doc & Beowulf (their color maps can be seen here...: http://txp.df2.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3) as well as a lot of sky maps converted from AF3. Many maps (both SP, with Doc's own mission voice, and MP) have also been made for these terrains and will be included in TXP2. There will also be a lot of well known items with new skins (mainly from other Novalogic games), as well as new sounds and new menu graphics. EXP2b (by TerraNova) and the Darklogic Mission Pack (by X Crest Delta) will be included as well...

Further on, it must be mentioned that over the years we have spent hundreds (or thousands, really) hours in front of a hex editor, trying to figure out the DF2 3di file format, and one year ago I would estimate that we had figured out around 95% of it, with great help from A.Bullet of TerraNova. After that, Tomkat has been of great help and inspiration in this work, and I would now estimate that 98% of the 3di file format has been figured out... Probably enough to start making new items for DF2, but since we don't have time to program tools to make this process simple, we have to do it manually with the use of a hex editor, and that is a slow process, and it won't let us create complex items...

Anyway, TXP2 will include things like rotating items (must be defined in events by the map maker) and items which can be made to move vertically like elevators (again, something which must be defined by the map maker). For instance, there will be a rocket which can be launched from the rocket gantry...

There will also be new armories, for instance inside the Edbro or the Storage Shed, etc, but also an invisible armory which can be placed anywhere on the map...

One of the latest "inventions", and which I'm still working on, is a new standard wall, which will come in many sizes, and which can be used by the map makers to build new fancy castles of their own imagination... A cross-product between the new armories and the new walls will be an armory wall, i.e. which can be placed inside structures made by the map makers...

There is probably a lot I have forgotten to tell about above, but hopefully some of the above will make people want to try out TXP2 when it's being released in the future, at a web site "near you"... Wink

Below are some screen shots of a small sample of items which hopefully will be included in the final release of TXP2...:

Some new armories (inside the Edbro and the Storage Shed)...:

A new "armory wall" (not finished)...:

The new standard (4x4x0.5) wall with different textures (not decided upon yet which texture will be used - there are more options than those shown as well)...:

A different size (64x32x0.5) of the new wall (not finished)...:

Item converted from unknown Novalogic game (not finished)...:

Items converted from AF3 (not finished)...:

Items converted from LW (not finished)...:

Items converted from DF1 (not finished)...:

More pictures will be posted at the time of (or after) the TXP2 release... The same thing goes for general TXP2 info and tutorial maps etc...

Remember...: DF2 Forever! Cool

BulletMagnet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time man, why leave out stuff just to get it out there faster?

I for one greatly appreciate your efforts to make DF2 a better game, and I know you've spent countless months/years on this project, I know what it's like to do such long (sometimes boring) work.

Hats off to ya Q, your a hero as well as Doc.
Slydr.Vet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slydr.Vet here. I am very sorry to hear about Allan Stewart (aka Doc/Dr.Evil~TAG) who died in Afghanistan. I haven't been around myself for quite awhile due to training and then serving in Iraq. I was in Iraq at the time of his death but did not know his real name, otherwise, I would have kept an eye out for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TXP Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: