TXP Community Forum
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
? about a program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killshotDFU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: ? about a program Reply with quote

hey i was just wondering are u guys using terragan program and if so how can i make a map into mis file for df2 i made a terrain and cant figure out hom to edit it for df2 map i call it knife land it sorta looks like 2 guys knifing and id like to get it made for df2 if i cant figure it out would u beablr to do it for me if so can u let me know id appreciate it ive had this terrain made for 2 years going on 3 and cant get any info from anyone hopefully you guys can help
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 3 terrains I've made for TXP2 I've used Terragen.

I've installed the For Export Only (FEO) plugins for Terragen. My heightmap is 2049x2049, and that's exported with the FEO BMP plugin. After that I tweak it with a graphics package, resize it to 1024x1024 and save as a 8bit PCX

The colourmap is produced with the orthographic setup within Terragen at 2048x2048 (takes something over an hour to render on my machine) - after that I do some processing work to it in a graphics package, resize to 1024x1024 and save it up as a jpeg.

To get it working within DF2, the easiest option is to start with one of the desert terrains - extract out and rename one of their .trn files - then just change over the names within that for the heightmap and colourmap, and repack it into your df2.pff file. After that it should appear in the MED.
killshotDFU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um im lost lol would you beable to do that and add it to your txp files for me i hope my file is still good ive only made that one terrain and im not very program wise heres the addy for the file .
http://home.ripway.com/2005-1/242364/knifeland.ter
i hope its not the one that was messed up i would have checked it out but when i went to look for the terragen program i couldnt find it grr lol thought i saved the program on a disc just incse i had to redo my comp but i guess i didnt .and the other week i redid my comp and lost the program so i looked all over the net looking for it today and camnt find it im not sure where i downloaded it at all i wanted to do is build a map from scratch and say that i did it but oh well lol hopefully you'll beable to do something with it
TXP Guru
TXP Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs alot of edging work but pretty good for a first terrain using terrigen,
Below is the file containing the actual height map used in the game it is title kill_d.pcx , I included a quickly made up color map called kill_c and a trn file called kill.trn, If you want to sample this terrain place the files into you df2 file folder and use the /D command on you exe file , this will allow you to use the map in the med and play on it. I never touched up the height map at all and used only what was provided.

For the color map i just put a tan layer over the height map to give it color and used desert tiles for the actaul terrain. As seen in the quick screen shots below as well,

Terrigen is pretty good for making terrains as well as using bryce and or just a paint program. Theres a few tutorials out there , most are located HERE We used to have one hosted here but i think its down at the moment.

Here is the trn files KILL.ZIP

This is how you put the /D command on Tthis will allow the game to read the trn file from the df2 file folder which is easier if you don't plan on keeping the changes or need to do a revamp on changes to the trn file. To do this go to your start menu,Then to programs, then to novalogic file folder,Then DF2 < right click on df2 and go to properties and at the end of the exe hit space bar and type in /D

This is a quick look at the terrain in the game using you height map and no changes done to it.

As for us adding it to TXP i don't think were adding anymore things to it at this time thanks for the offer, Creating terrains and finishing the terrains with the proper tiling is hard and is time consuming, Were still hoping to get the txp pack out soon , [/img]
killshotDFU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dr ill see what i can do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TXP Forum Index -> TXP discussion & support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: